You can invite a new member to your workspace by sending them an invitation email. The email contains instructions on how to sign up for an account (or how to join your workspace if they already have an account).
Start by clicking on the Members menu item in the left-hand sidebar:
This will take you to the Workspace Members settings page. Click on the Add button and select Invite by email from the dropdown menu:
This will take you to a Invite a User page where you can enter the details of the new user:
- Enter the User’s Personal Details
- Select Roles
- There is one row entitled Workspace Role:
Start by entering the recipient’s name and email. They will be able to change these details when they sign up, or on their My Account page afterwards (see
Next, in the Roles area of the page, select the roles that you would like to grant the user. See the
Here are some rules of thumb to bear in mind:
- In most cases you should select Active here.
- Make sure you don’t select Inactive, otherwise the user won’t be able to log in.
- Be careful about who you invite to be a Workspace Admin or Workspace Owner. These are powerful roles that will give the user the ability to view and edit most things in your workspace.
- On each row, select the role you’d like to give the user in the corresponding project.
- Leave the row set to No Role if you don’t want to give the user access to the project.
- However, note that workspace members have read-only access to all projects by default, unless you mark the projects as Private.
- If the recipient already has a Cartographer account…
- If the recipient does not have a Cartographer account…
When you’re done selecting roles, click the Send Invitation button to send an invitation email to the user. The email contains links that the user can click to accept or decline the invitation. Cartographer will help them create their account if they don’t already have one, and will automatically set them up with the roles you selected.
What Does an Invitation Look Like?
When you invite a new user, Cartographer sends them an invitation email similar to the following:
The recipient can accept the invitation by clicking the first of the two links. What happens next depends on whether they are already a Cartographer user:
They will be asked to log in, after which they will immediately be able to access your workspace and use the new roles you granted them.
If the recipient doesn’t yet have a Cartographer account, they will be asked to sign up for an account. They will be asked to choose a screen name, set a password, and accept the terms and conditions. When they click Sign Up, they will be immediately taken to your workspace where they can start using their new account: